only thing I saw on Cisco site was a recommendation to upgrade one level at a
time to avoid lossing Activation key
make sure you write this down you can see be using the sh ver command
also after you upgrade above 5.1 you can go back to 4.x something about damage
to flash

Good Luck

>>> "Paul L Holloway" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 04/03/01 07:48AM

I'm upgrading the IOS on a new PIX. What would be the downside of me upgrading
to 5.3 without stepping up incrementally and just going directly from 4.4 to
5.3. I don't see anywhere in the Cisco documentation where they advise against
this, but I seem to remember several threads here advising to go up one
version at a time. Any thoughts??
Paul