Oh boy.  What version of IOS are you running - 9.14 or something like that?

>From memory, and this appears to be backed up by my historical copy of the
Router Products command summary for 'software release 9.1' (they didn't use
the term 'IOS' then), that is what you get with an early IOS version.  I'm
not sure when it changed - I think in IOS 10.0.

Type 'show version' at the exec prompt (i.e. not while you're trying to
configure the router) and look for the version - second line of output,
probably.  If it's 9.something, then you have a very early version of IOS.
You can still do a fair amount of stuff - ospf, igrp, IPX (except it used
novell as the keyword then), rsrb, snmp, x.25... depending on what feature
set you have.
If this is supposed to be a production router, upgrade it.  If it's for a
lab, you will rapidly find that you cannot do anything that is faintly
recent (EIGRP, HSRP, etc), and most of the commands in books won't work,
and you will want to upgrade it anyway.  Many of the commands have changed
since 9.1.

JMcL

---------------------- Forwarded by Jenny Mcleod/NSO/CSDA on 04/04/2001
05:55 pm ---------------------------

"RamG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>@groupstudy.com on 04/04/2001 04:14:28 pm

Please respond to "RamG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To:   "Ciscogroupstudy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc:

Subject:  2501 help

Hello Friends,

I am new to this field.  Received couple of routers today.  Trying to learn
basic commands.    When I enter config t following is the output

RouterA#config t

Enter configuration commands, one per line.
Edit with DELETE, CTRL/W, and CTRL/U; end with CTRL/Z

I don't get RouterA<config> prompt.  What could be the problem?

Thanks

Gopal