Have you tried other IOS images?  How did you even get 12.1(7)T?  As far
as I can tell, 12.1(7) just came out and the latest T release available
on a 3600 is 12.1(5)T.  Is downgrading back to 12.1(5)T an option?  Do
you really even need the T release, or would 12.1(5) work for you?

It's possible that if you really are using a bleeding-edge IOS release
that you are running into a bug that they haven't resolved--or really
even started working on yet.  If changing to another image is an option,
I'd try that to see if the behavior changes.

>>> "Howard C. Berkowitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 4/6/01 8:26:15 AM >>>
>Someone here must have an answer for this one.  Cisco TAC has been
>absolutely NO HELP.  I am sure that 600+ heads in this group,
together,
>can help me with this problem.  I have to implement this thing
tomorrow
>evening.  I am sure that I will get lot of calls from unhappy
customers
>about the latency issue.

To what extent have you escalated this in the TAC?  What is the
criticality designation of the problem report?  To how many levels of
TAC management have you spoken?

I don't think it will qualify for the highest level, because work can
still get done, just slowly. But it should be possible to escalate --
if for no other reason that it's been an open ticket for a while.

Have you discussed it with your local Cisco office?

>PLEASE HELP.
>
>>From: "Sean Young" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>Subject: Implement Secure Shell (SSH) on Cisco 3640 router
>>Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 21:41:29 -0400
>>
>>Hi everyone,
>>
>>I've posted this question last week but never got a satisfactory
response
>>so I will post it again; hopefully, I can get a better suggestion
this
>>time.
>>
>>I am running SSH on a Cisco 3640 router with IOS 12.1.7(T) version.
>>This router is used a an access server to control other Cisco
devices.
>>Everything is working except it is painfully slow.  At first, I
thought
>>it might network latency, so I take the router back to the lab,
connect
>>the access server FE interface with a cross-over cable to my laptop
and
>>establish a SSH connection to the access server.  The connection is
still
>>VERY SLOW.

Do sh ip interfaces on all affected interfaces under both
configuration options (SSH and non SSH). It would be wise to reboot
after the configuration change.

Are the interface switching modes different?

If SSH puts an interface in a slow switching mode, that could explain
the added latency.  It doesn't necessarily fix it, but you then have
a place to look. If the switching mode does change, specifically ask
the TAC if there is an IOS level in which SSH will run in fast or CEF.

>>  If I take off SSH and use telnet, it is very fast.  However,
>>disabling SSH is NOT an option for me because this router will be
>>accessable via the Internet and the customer does not want to use
>>TELNET (username and password in clear text).  They don't want any
other
>>option, just SSH.  Oh, the router has 32MB Flash and 128MB RAM which
>>think is plentiful.  Its only purpose is to function as an
access-server,
>>nothing else.  I still can not, for the life of me, figure out why
SSH
>>creates such a latency.  I did both "show memory" and "show
process".
>>In both cases, SSH doesn't take much memory and cpu resources.  I
give
>>the "show tech" to Cisco TAC and he has not found a solution for it.
As
>>far as the SSH client is concern, I use either PUTTY or MINDTERM
which
>>is extremely slick and fast clients.  They both work great when I
SSH