At 07:38 PM 4/10/01, Hingchuen Chan wrote:
>Hi guys,
>
>I read that distance vector routing protocols use the logical broadcast to
>send its periodic update. What MAC address does it use then? Broadcast too?

Yes, broadcast or multicast.

RIPv1 sends to IP destination 255.255.255.255 and Ethernet destination
FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. I have also seen RIP implementations that send to
0.0.0.0 and implementations that send to network.0, (where the number of
zeros depends on class), but all the implementations seem to send to
FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF at the MAC layer.

RIPv2 sends to IP destination 224.0.0.9 and Ethernet destination
01:00:5E:00:00:09.

Novell IPX RIP sends to IPX destination network.FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF and
Ethernet destination FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF.

RTMP sends to DDP destination network.255 and Ethernet destination
09:00:07:FF:FF:FF.

IGRP sends to IP destination 255.255.255.255 and Ethernet destination
FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF.

EIGRP sends hellos to IP Destination 224.0.0.10 and Ethernet destination
01:00:5E:00:00:0A.

With OSPF, though not distance vector and not what you asked about, Hello
packets are sent to the multicast destination AllSPFRouters. The Designated
Router and its Backup send both Link State Update Packets and Link State
Acknowledgment Packets to the multicast address AllSPFRouters, while all
other routers send both their Link State Update and Link State
Acknowledgment Packets to the multicast address AllDRouters.

AllSPFRouters is 224.0.0.5 and 01:00:5E:00:00:05.

AllDRouters is 224.0.0.6 and 01:00:5E:00:00:06.

>Also, would the recipient of the periodic update send it out again because
>it is a logical broadcast?

If the recipient were a switch or bridge, yes. Otherwise, no.

Priscilla

>Thanks in advance.
>

>Hing

Priscilla Oppenheimer