At 01:34 AM 4/11/01, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

>Apropos of a question Priscilla avoided, ARP, in formal OSI terms, is
>a subnetwork dependent convergence facility, which again is a part of
>the Internal Organization of the Network Layer.

Thank-you. I can never remember those words. ;-) And to take us back to
Chuck's original question, which seemed naive but was really wise, could we
say that the job of translating network-layer broadcasts/multicasts to a
data-link-layer broadcast/multicast is also a job of the subnetwork
dependent convergence facility?

I'm not saying this very well, but I'm trying to better understand how
255.255.255.255 becomes FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF, and 224.0.0.5 becomes
01:00:5E:00:00:05, and DDP network.255 becomes 09:00:07:FF:FF:FF, etc.

Thanks

Priscilla

>In the B-ISDN
>reference model, ARP is a control plane protocol.
>
>And before anyone asks, these ISO documents are not available online,
>or at least free.
>

> >Seriously, Howard, when you say that IS-IS operates at the MAC layer, what
> >do you mean?
>
>ISIS does not encapsulate its routing packet in any layer 3 routed
>protocol (i.e., IP or CLNP).
>
> >When I do a debug isis adjacency on  a Cisco router, is what I
> >am seeing ( is-is "hello" packets of various sorts, depending on the
> >configuration ) evidence of MAC layer activity as opposed to the broadcast
> >activity of RIP or the multicast activity of OSPF?
>
>Right. Mind you, there is little practical difference between direct
>data link and OSPF's IP packets with TTL=1.  (Pause for usual
>mystification on why someone wants routing protocols to pass through
>a firewall, a fairly frequent question).
>

> >Chuck

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com