I have the opportunity to purchase the following used equipment for
GroupStudy.com:

Dell Poweredge 4200
Dual PII 300 mhz CPUs
512 MB ram
5- 4 gig SCSI drives
Adaptec 7880 controller
AMI raid controller with 32 MB ram
NIC: Adaptec ANA 6944A TX

The machine has redundant power supplies and hot-swappable disks.   Some
questions.  First, how much total disk capacity will this machine have if we
put the disks in a raid configuration?  If you setup the RAID array to do
disk striping does that make the aggregated bandwidth of the disk greater
then if you had a single disk?  If I am running Linux, will a Dual PII 300
be equivalent to what speed of a single processor?  Heck, can this thing
even run Linux?

I am thinking about replacing our current machine which is a "Home Built" I
made with an AMD Athlon 400 MHz, 256 MB/RAM, and 20 GB disk (7200 RPM).  The
problem with our current setup is redundancy, or lack thereof.  So if a disk
drive fails, it might be days before we get a new disk up and running.

SO what do you think?

Thanks,

Paul Borghese