Redundancy is always good!
Some applications do not take full advantage of multi-processor servers.  I
am thinking the memory and the SCSI drives/controller card will definitely
improve performance.
If you use RAID 5 you'll have approx 16 GB of usable space.
If you use disk striping (RAID 0) you may get better I/O performance but you
lose any redundancy due to the fact that you will not be writing any parity
to disk.
If the price is right, go for it.

""Paul Borghese""  wrote in message
> I have the opportunity to purchase the following used equipment for
> GroupStudy.com:
>
> Dell Poweredge 4200
> Dual PII 300 mhz CPUs
> 512 MB ram
> 5- 4 gig SCSI drives
> Adaptec 7880 controller
> AMI raid controller with 32 MB ram
> NIC: Adaptec ANA 6944A TX
>
> The machine has redundant power supplies and hot-swappable disks.   Some
> questions.  First, how much total disk capacity will this machine have if
we
> put the disks in a raid configuration?  If you setup the RAID array to do
> disk striping does that make the aggregated bandwidth of the disk greater
> then if you had a single disk?  If I am running Linux, will a Dual PII 300
> be equivalent to what speed of a single processor?  Heck, can this thing
> even run Linux?
>
> I am thinking about replacing our current machine which is a "Home Built"
> made with an AMD Athlon 400 MHz, 256 MB/RAM, and 20 GB disk (7200 RPM).
The