The issue number is now up to around 7200. It seems to change daily :->

Some history.

Neighborhood October  4, 1999 number 5177 was issued

Neighborhood December 22, 1999 number 5444 was issued

Neighborhood May 28, 2000 number 5917 was issued

In other words, give or take a few, there are roughly 100 new CCIE's awarded
each month. This appears to have been constant at least since I've been
tracking.

Figure that many of these are experienced people with solid backgrounds, and
not just newbies taking bootcamp courses. There are a number of reasons why
so many people are in the pipeline, so to speak. That's another topic
altogether.

It still takes on the average three attempts to pass. It still takes an
experienced person two years of prep time to make the grade.

A good part of the backlog is due to too many unqualified people going
through the process. ( yes I recently failed. But I won't be showing my face
around there again 'til December. There are others who try to get in as
often as possible, ready or not. )

Does this help put things into perspective?

Chuck