From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2001 2:20 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Routing Performance Perspective [7:495]

I am hoping someone could provide me some experienced perspective for the
following situation:

We utilize a somewhat 'new on the block' co-location facility, and while
they otherwise provide fantastic service I have some questions about the
routing performance.
Over the past few weeks, I have noticed a degradation of service on our
colocator-provided connection. (significant latency, and loss of packets)
As a result, I have been tracerouting our corporate offices from our
co-location facility (only 30 miles away) and it takes anywhere from 13 to
16 hops to reach it's destination.  I have been doing this on a
semi-scientific basis (whenever I remember) and the results are usually the
same, but closer to 16 hops than 13.    When I traceroute from our corporate
offices to our co-location facility the results are usually 6 to seven hops
using the same semi-scientific methodology as stated above.

My concerns are that end-user experience are being affected by apparent
sub-optimal routing.

The question I ask of the Grand-Master BGP geniuses is: do I have a valid
complaint regarding sub-optimal routing from our co-locator?

Thanks!
Matthew