From: Sean C.
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 04/14/2001 9:36 PM
Subject: Re: Packet retransmission [7:662]

Thanks Priscilla, you caught an error that I had missed.

You're totally right when writing that this was a decent wrap-up.  With
the
amount of travelling I do, it's easier to carry this study guide around
(appended with my notes that must take up any remaining space) then to
lug
around Perlman, Halabi, Berkowitz, Doyle, Comer, Stevens, Clark, Raza,
Lammle, etc.... ;-)

Thanks again,
Sean
CCNP, CCDP, MCSE

PS - I never had an opportunity to thank you for the Top-Down book.  It
helped me immensely in acquiring my DP.  Thank you!!

""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
> At 04:58 PM 4/14/01, Up_and_Up wrote:
> >Hi All,
> >
> >HostA----------Router1-----------Router2-----------HostB
> >              Ether                    Serial
Ether

> >If a packet is sent from HostA to HostB and the packet is lost
between R1
> >and R2 - who resends?
> >
> >I've seen this question before and thought the generally agreed upon
answer
> >was that Host A would resend with the reason being "The data-link
layer
> >protocols in use today on serial lines, including PPP, Frame Relay,
and
> >Cisco HDLC, detect errors but are not responsible for error
correction or
> >retransmission."
>
> Yes, that's the agreed-upon answer and the best way to think about it.
What
> you say is usually true. There are some exceptions, for example, if
Router
> 1 and 2 were running X.25. X.25 does retransmit.
>
> I skimmed the cram session. It looks pretty good, but be sure to use
> something more than this to study. (I'm sure you know that.) The cram
> session has the usual misconceptions, such as claiming that SRB and
SRT
are
> in 802.5, which they aren't, and that HSRP is a routing protocol that
is
> standing by, (it's a router standing by), and AppleTalk is "chatty."
>
> Then it has a few unique misconceptions like the one you asked about,
and
> the overuse of the term "broadcast," and the indication that SNA is
> non-routable because it existed before WANs, and the following really
awful
> statement:
>
> "TCP and LLC Type 2 are reliable protocols because they are layer four
> protocols
> IP, UDP, and Frame Relay are NOT reliable protocols because they are
layer
> three protocols."
>
> But the CCIE wouldn't be worth the paper it's written on if you could
pass
> by reading one over-simplified document! ;-) As long as you are
studying
> with other materials also, I think the cram session is a nice wrap-up
of
> what you need to know, and if you know your stuff, you'll recognize
the
> misconceptions.
>
> Priscilla
>

> >The reason I post this is I have found a contradictoring document and
wanted
> >some 2nd and 3rd opinions.  The document in questions is the
cramsession
> >from BrainBuzz.com at the link:
> >
> >http://cramsession.brainbuzz.com/cramsession/cisco/ccie_written/
> >
> >The statement in question is at the top of Page 13.  It states the
the
> >packet would be resent (actually rebroadcast) from Router B.
> >
> >I'm not using this guide to learn from as much to reinforce what I
have
> >learned and this statement is bringing up an old question.
> >
> >Thanks to all who answer,
> >Sean
> >Report misconduct and Nondisclosure violations to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]