At 06:33 PM 4/15/01, Chuck Larrieu wrote:
>I've heard the same said of IPX.

Yup, people who say IPX is "chatty," are usually blowing smoke too. ;-)
 From a very quick assessment of IPX, I would say that it's pretty well
behaved:

SAP broadcasts every 60 seconds can get out of hand, though.
Use SAP filters to avoid too much traffic.
IPX RIP sends every 60 seconds, much better than RTMP's 10-second timer.
NLSP or EIGRP are alternatives to IPX RIP and SAP.
NCP keepalives are even worse than ATP keepalives. They are every 5
seconds. (Use Cisco watchdog feature to avoid this over DDR lines.)
IPX sends broadcasts, rather than multicasts, which is kind of rude.
There is no ARP as you mentioned, which is a good thing from a traffic
point of view.

>Which leads to the obvious question - is IP
>any less chatty than any other protocol?

IP was designed with different goals in mind. AppleTalk and IPX were
designed to be easy on the user. A tradeoff is that things like service
location are easy, but they cause extra traffic. IP has more options for
routing and the newer options such as OSPF are not chatty. For file
sharing, you would have to use NFS or SMB over NetBIOS over UDP/IP, which
can be chatty, depending on the configuration.

Microsoft Networking can be very broadcast-intensive if NetBEUI is used.
But most people don't use NetBEUI anymore.

Well, I wish I had more time to discuss this interesting topic, but I
better get back to work.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com