Yes, but remember that just changing the port is very weak security that any
portscanner will be able to find:
Start - Settings - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Telnet Server
Administrator:

Microsoft (R) Windows 2000 (TM) (Build 2195)
Telnet Server Admin (Build 5.00.99201.1)

Select one of the following options:

0) Quit this application
1) List the current users
2) Terminate a user session ...
3) Display / change registry settings ...
4) Start the service
5) Stop the service

Type an option number [0 - 5] to select that option: 3

Select one of the following options:

0) Exit this menu
1) AllowTrustedDomain
2) AltKeyMapping
3) DefaultDomain
4) DefaultShell
5) LoginScript
6) MaxFailedLogins
7) NTLM
8) TelnetPort
Type an option number [0 - 8] to select that option: 8
Current value of TelnetPort = 23
Do you want to change this value ? [y/n]

--
Jason Roysdon, CCNP+Security/CCDP, MCSE, CNA, Network+, A+
List email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

""Fred Danson""  wrote in message
> Thanks for the info,
>
> Does the telnet client that is built into Windows2000 Professional allow
> changing of the destination port? Could I just click start --> Run and
type
> in telnet 63.1.1.1 :24 ??
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Fred
>

> >From: Carroll Kong
> >To: "Fred Danson"
> >CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Subject: Re: Can you change Telnet's well known port? [7:717]
> >Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 13:26:34 -0500

> >>I wasn't aware that it is possible to manipulate the port used to
telnet.
> >>So
> >>using your example above, I would telnet to device 1 using the outside
> >>destination port of 23, telnet to device 2 using the outside destination
> >>port of 24, telnet to device 3 using the outside destination port of 25?
> >>Is
> >>it possible to do this? Would telnet work with ports other than 23?
Could
> >>anyone clarify this please?
> >>
> >>Thanks for the help,
> >>Fred
> >
> >Absolutely.  They are just daemons using a socket library.  They can bind
> >to any port they want and you can get the same result.  As long as the
> >client connects to the write server listening port, they do not care.
The