LR POS is good for 80km/50 miles - add into that the non-crow-flying-path of
the fibre, plug optical splices, etc.and you *have* to go with the
SDH/SONET-switched option.  David makes valid points re the SLA for repair
of dark fibre - the only way telcos can make 2-hour SLAs is by use of the
redundant/resilient ring-based nature of their networks - ie they will
re-route your circuit, rather than having to physically fix anything within
the SLA time.

Saying that, I have worked in the Internet arm of a telco, and if you can
get dark fibre "on the house" as it were, then it can be very convenient as
there is not the constaint of a particular circuit being tied to a
speed/technology type.  They run GE over dark fibre extensively thru their
MAN infrastructure - it can be a really nice way to run flat Vlans around
the place.  Also migrating from STM-X to STM-Y (OC-X to OC-Y if you like)
can just be a case of swapping the fibre between interfaces at each end.

Ultimately, I suppose if distance is not a limitation, then it comes down to
cost - your telco isn't going to sell you dark fibre at the price of an
STM-1, if you're then going to pump STM-16 down it ;-)

btw - if anyone buys LAN-interconnect type solutions, the  try putting FE or
GE down your 10Mb/s interconnect - you might be pleasantly suprised

Andy