Regarding layer 2 security, it all comes down to how much of an
administrative load you can handle.  We have one customer that locks each
port down to the MAC address of what is supposed to be there.  No
unauthorized traffic is allowed to touch the network beyond the switch port
which just drops it.  They very rarely if ever have moves, and when they do
it all has to be coordinated with the lan/switch netadmin.  I hate it
because I can't just come in and plug in my laptop anywhere ;-p

Of course, this wouldn't work with an IP phone install where you're expected
to be able to move phones all of the time.  I'm sure there is some way to
create a list of MAC addresses (and maybe tag them with an appropriate VLAN,
like a generic "PUBLIC" VLAN for all unknown MAC addresses, which is
essentially firewalled from the rest of the network).  Still, this same bug
would have melted a network configured as such.

--
Jason Roysdon, CCNP+Security/CCDP, MCSE, CNA, Network+, A+
List email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
> Taking a step back, she asked, "so what's with this 802.1x standard,
> anyway?" Is anyone actually using it?
>
> Data-link-layer security definitely makes sense for 802.11 wireless
> networks. Does it really make sense for wired networks? Is the bug
> happening with wired or wireless networks? It sounds like it's happening
> with wired networks since the bug is with the Catalyst 5000 EARL, though
> some of the reports have called 802.1x a wireless standard. That's pretty
> bad that the switches forward the multicasts out blocked ports. How could
> that have happened? Just a bug I guess.
>
> Back to my original question. Does security at the data-link-layer make
> sense for wired networks? I guess there could be cases where a person has
> physical access to an Ethernet port but is not supposed to be able to use
> the network. Maybe in a conference room or lobby. How does the
> authentication actually take place? Do you need to use Radius or TACACS
also?

> And one more question, is anyone actually using Windows XP yet? I guess
> people must be for this bug to have been found.
>
> Interesting thread. Would anyone care to share some "big picture" comments
> on the subject?
>
> Priscilla
>
> At 11:10 AM 4/17/01, Hornbeck, Timothy wrote:
> > > Possible solution?
> > >
> > > *     Operating systems, such as Windows XP, will attempt 802.1X
> > > authentication by sending frames to the Authenticator PAE on the
> > > destination multicast address 01-80-c2-00-00-0f and 01-80-c2-00-00-03.
On
> > > Catalyst 5000 family switches with EARL1, EARL1+, EARL1++, or EARL1.1,
> > > these frames will be forwarded on all ports including spanning tree
> > > blocking ports. Because these frames are forwarded on blocked ports,
the
> > > network will experience a Layer 2 multicast storm.
> > > Workaround 1: Enter the following commands to configure a permanent
CAM