I freely admit I'm not a Windows networking person. But it's not
clear to me what the threat is that is being protected against.

>True, but even if you sat down at a PC and got its MAC address (or just used
>that same PC), you'd still have to have the username/password for any real
>access, as even their Bordermanager proxy is based on being authenticated to
>NDS.  But good point if that's all a person was using to verify a valid
>connection to a network.
>
>But the without locking it down to a MAC address, what would stop a
>broadcast storm at the local switch?

Is the MAC address relevant if you simply rate-limit broadcasts at
the port?  Block the port if it senses > 500 broadcasts per second
over more than 1 second?

>  What other authentication methods are
>there at layer 2?

But why should the authentication be done at layer 2?  Are you
protecting against a rogue host doing a denial of service on the LAN?
Or are you protecting servers?

I can understand rate limiting ports. I just am not sure why you
would do it on a MAC address basis.