A flap occurs when a router receives an advertisement for a prefix and
then subsequently receives a "withdraw" update.   That is one flap.  If
it comes up and goes back down again, that is two flaps total.

At least, that's how I remember it.  Someone please correct me if I'm
wrong.

Regards,
John

>>> "Jim Erickson"  4/18/01 1:52:18 PM >>>
My vote would be #2. Simply based on the definition of the verb 'flap':
wave ... up *and* down." [emphasis added]

http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=flap

---JRE---

""Tom Pruneau""  wrote in message
> Greetings All
>
> I am in the process of writing a BGP class, at present I am
specifically
> working on a section covering dampening.
>
> My question is "what is a flap"
>
> The two possible answers are:
>

> Answer one
> A flap is whenever path information changes for a route. By this
definition
> if a route goes away, that would be a flap. When the route comes
back,
that

-
> This email is composed of 82% post consumer recycled data bits

[EMAIL PROTECTED]