First of all the 1600 to 1700 router series are merely remote office
routers.  The 1700 will support full IOS 12.x and if you get a 1750 you will
have three wic card slots and 48mb of ram with 16mb of flash.  This is a
nice router but limited and not very scalable.  The 2600 is considered a
Distribution level router and is a lot more scalable.  I am getting one and
it is a lot cheaper than 3000 dollars.  You can get on on EBAY for about
1700 with a T1 wic in it.  It's all up to you and how scalable you want to
go.  3 grand should get you a nice router.  I would go with a 2650.

Scott