I'll take a different tack on desireable routers. Rather than having one
great router let me suggest several good routers. The 2500 series is
reasonably priced in the used market. How about:

2523 2 Fast Serial, 8 Sync/Async Serial, 1 TR, 1 ISDN BRI S/T
2513 2 Fast Serial ,1 Ethernet, 1 Token Ring
2503 2 Fast Serial, 1 Ethernet, 1 ISDN BRI S/T
2509 2 Fast Serial, 1 Ethernet, 8 Async Serial

Check out completed auctions on eBay to see how close this comes to your
budget.