Yes; you have to use MICAs.

The MICAs (modems) are the only thing that will be able to interpret the
modulated then digitized signal coming from the remote locations.

The remote modems create an analog signal which only another modem of
same protocol could read (V.whatever).  The Remote analog signal gets
digitized at the nearest CO, using PCM.  The Pulse Code Modulated
verision of the analog signal is sent all the way thru the PRI and your
central site router redirects it "ISDN INCOMING-VOICE MODEM" to the MICA
modems.  The MICA "modems" look at the PCM data and interpret it as
though it had arived as a analog signal.

Question to ALL:
Does any body know if the MICAs actually convert the PCM data back into
analog.  Then read the V.whatever.
or
Does the MICA do both at the same time.

The first approach would be cheaper from a circuitry stand point; but it
seems kinda crazy to convert the digital signal into an analag signal
for approx 1 cm.

DaveC