In answer to the question, yes the command is available under the eigrp
process. Or at least it was when we were discussing this issue somewhere
around a year ago. ;->

Hey, PO, the only way that the hop count makes any sense is in terms of
relating to the TTL You probably don't recall the thread, but I had found a
document on EIGRP on CCO that made some bizarre claim about the EIGRP max
diameter being 225 because of  TCP limitations.

In any case, rightly or wrongly I have linked the max (E)IGRP diameter as
255 because of the TTL. This may or may be a good reason for linking them.
On the other hand, according to RFC 1812 ( unless I am mis-remembering my
reading  ) is that required router behaviour is to take any incoming packet,
decrement the TTL by 1, and if the TTL value is still greater than zero,
forward that packet. Otherwise, drop it. In the end, routing protocol
packets are still IP packets, aren't they? Damn, now I have to break out my
RFC's and go through this again!

There is nothing in the (E)IGRP algorithms that calculate hop count, is
there? Bandwidth, delay, reliability, load, MTU. I suppose that somewhere in
the process the number of links crossed as well as the bandwidth of each of
those links figures into the calculations.

Let me ask the question with regards to another routing protocol - does OSPF
have a hop count limit? If so, why? If not, why not?

Come to think of it, most of the routing protocols have a TTL of 1 in the
routing packet. With BGP one can manipulate this using the ebgp-multihop
command. I can think of only one place to do TTL, and that's in the ip
header. Debug ip packet seems to yield information about routing events as
well as data events, does it not?

Where's that bad boy Bob Vance when we need him? This discussion is right up
his alley! ;->

Chuck