My last e-mail was one of those mouth engaged before brain e-mails. I'm
travelling at the moment, but hopefully will be able to post this before too
many people shoot me down in flames.

If you're using X21, then at the physical layer there will be no DCD, CTS
etc. I had gone off on a tangent. Forgive me there was a lot more RS232
around when I last used MUX's.
As far as I am aware the only handshaking for X21 will be Control and
Indicate. If the MUX is not providing the correct signalling for this, the
answer may be to loop control to indicate (back towards the router - May
mean you have to make an additional female to male cable unless there is
already an additional patch).
Obviously you should have to do this for both routers.

I am struggling to remember the pin-outs, but what you need to do is wire:
Control A - Indicate A
Control B - Indicate B

Remember I'm talking about a loop back to the router just to fool it into
thinking it's seeing the other end, not any type of cross.

For some reason the following sticks in my mind, but I would definitely do a
search for X21 pin-outs before making a cable:

3 - 5
10 - 12

An X21 breakout box would make things easier if you can get hold of one. If
you can get the MUX's to pass Control and Indicate it would be even better.

Anybody else - Feel free to chip in. I know the above works, but I would be
interested if anybody knows whether there could be side effects (loss of
hardware flow control cause any problems?)

Regards,

Gaz