It may be that it is actually a 2501 and the serial link is attached to
a terminal adapter (we used to do this with JTEC TA's in them thar good
ole days the micro channel switching type (ts013) in the land of Oz)
which would give the ISDN connectivity. Either way then the answers
below are still valid (ie what Jenny said)

BTW - I wonder when Cisco will finally change its recommended Australian
type to net3/net5 - the ETSI standard. The old switch type is still in
its latest books and manuals - has anyone told the yet?

Take care all -

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:

> Doesn't sound like a 2501 to me - they don't have BRI interfaces.  Did you
> mean a 2503?
>
> I'm not quite clear on your setup, but anyway...
> No, you can't use a serial interface to connect to a LAN.
> No, you can't add more LAN interfaces to a 2500 series router.  They are
> fixed config, not modular.
> Can you connect to the 'outside world' using a cross-over cable to a serial
> port in the 'outside world' perhaps?  Or is your 2500 in the outside world?
>
> JMcL
> ---------------------- Forwarded by Jenny Mcleod/NSO/CSDA on 27/04/2001
> 04:26 pm ---------------------------
>
> "Dan Pearson" @groupstudy.com on 27/04/2001
> 08:36:49 am
>
> Please respond to "Dan Pearson"
>
> Sent by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> To:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> cc:
>
> Subject:  help extra ethernet connection for a 2501!! [7:2187]
>
> Hi,
>
> I am setting up a test lab environment for a windows 2000 migration and
> want
> to have access to the outside world, the problem is we have a 2501 router
> which currently has the bri and ethernet interfaces in use, I need another
> ethernet interface for the test LAN, is there anyway I could utilise the
> serial connections for the test LAN? I m guessing that you cant put another
> ethernet card into the router due to the chassy type...i might be
> wrong...help!
>
> cheers in advance
>
> Dan

Regards
  Edmund Woltynski

The information transmitted by the following e-mail is intended only for
the addressee and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any interception, review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use
of, or taking of any action upon this information by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited by law and may subject
them to criminal or civil liability. If you received this communication
in error, please contact us immediately at (618) 83711492, and delete
the communication from any computer or network system.