----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Larrieu"
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 1:55 PM
Subject: WAN Congestion - Cloud technology - Theory vs Reality [7:2618]

> dropped/refused entry because of congestion on the cloud. This in turn
leads
> to the retransmission of dropped packets/cells, which in turn leads to
more
> congestion, in a never ending spiral ( in theory, at least )
>
> Reality: This gets into sizing of WAN links / CIR's / CBR's
>
> I am a bit curious. Anyone here have any real world experience with this
> kind of thing happening? I can see how this can happen in theory. In
> reality, carrier cloud congestion is not such that it would likely lead to
> this kind of result, is it?

Real life experience shows that frame relay circuits with 70% or more port
utilization create an environment for retransmission.  However, based on
packet capture and analysis, I see the retransmissions as much as I see
connection timeouts because the latency of the circuit increases when the
load maxes out, so it's not the "never-ending spiral" as one might expect.
I haven't seen any production ATM networks drop cells.

In reality, regarding carrier cloud congestion, domestically the carriers
claim they overbuild the capability of their service backbone precisely to
prevent such congestion problems and I'd tend to believe them because of my
experiences with outages that never affected my circuits.  Trans-oceanically
(is that a word?), there are some serious contention problems especially
from South America and Asia/Pac to the US.

> So if the above premise is something that can and does happen regularly,
> what does the carrier do - just massive dropping of packets / cells until
> the problem disappears, probably after hours that day?

If it is because of a failure on the part of their network, they try to
repair and re-route traffic to eliminate the data drops.  SLA's usually cost
the carrier money at a certain point in the failure window, and a reputation
for bad reliability is a difficult issue to overcome in this marketplace.

If it is because the customer has overutilized links, they try to sell the
customer more bandwidth.