Configure two routers to run HSRP and deliberately misconfigure the
authentication password. You might be surprised at the results.

>From CCO:
The authentication string is transmitted unencrypted in all HSRP messages.
The same authentication string must be configured on all routers and access
servers on a cable to ensure interoperation. Authentication mismatch
prevents a device from learning the designated Hot Standby IP address and
the Hot Standby timer values from other routers configured with HSRP.
Authentication mismatch does not prevent protocol events such as one router
taking over as the designated router.

That last sentence says it all.

Brian Dennis, CCIE #2210 (R&S)(ISP/Dial) CCSI #98640
5G Networks, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(925) 260-2724