From: DUNG H. LE
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 5/10/01 9:02 AM
Subject: CCIE #7354 - for Jeff McCoy [7:3998]

May 7-8, 2001 - RTP Lab facility

This was attempt 2. I changed my study habits from attempt 1, and
therefore
testing technique, for my attempt 2  (you perform like you
practice..right?).  It paid off. The change was to monotonously ping
every
interface IP / IPX address from every router. I made a list of the
addresses
and ran through all of them from every router. I believe this lack of
attention to detail is what did me in on attempt one.

Time management was key.  If I didn't know the config off the top of my
head, I skipped it.  This allowed me to complete the entire day 1
portion 3
hours early.  I had 4 areas that I needed to think about, so I saved
them
for last.  I methodically approached each of the 4 areas, knocked out
each
requirement, and had 1 hour left to do the testing above.  My strategy
was
that no matter what, I would take the last hour to test thoroughly, I
just
happened to get my 4 items done.  Day 2 was the same way...although only
3
hours for the first part, I still had 45 minutes to test it all.

Troubleshooting was by far the most nerve-racking experience.  I had a
"trouble ticket" list and was told to find as many problems as I could
and
document/fix them (one liners).  Unexpectedly I had to troubleshoot a
different network than the one I had spent a day and a half configuring.
3
hours was the time limit to learn a new topology, IP scheme, protocol
intent, and then fix as much as possible.  I don't feel like I was ready
for
this, and must have just kept calm enough to manage it.

The waiting is a nerve killer.  You wait before the lab starts about an
hour
for everything and everyone to get ready.  You wait all night long for
status on day 1's score.  You wait after day 2 build out...1.5 hours for
me.... to find out if you made it to troubleshooting.  Then you wait
while
they add up the points and spit a number out of the computer.... or not.
Howard ???? was the best!!! Comic relief goes a long way to ease my
stress,
and he delivered. I was very comfortable in the RTP environment.

Study material used / frequency:
Caslow 2nd edition - read it cover to cover once.
Ccbootcamp labs - practiced daily (almost and minus weekends) for 4
months.... 4-6 hours per day on a rack of equipment that was very
similar to
the real thing.  I was very comfortable with what was required of me for
day
1 and 2 build out.  In retrospect I would have practiced a bit more on
troubleshooting.  I was not comfortable with this at all and could have
used
some familiarity with strategy and tactic on this part.