it is a data link issue...forget about the masking.
without ip or with ip configed ..if you have the correct cable for bach
to back connection.
i would only check the clock rate statement on the DCE side and make sure
that the cable is good.

do s sho contr serial X
and check if in fact you have DCE on one side and DTE on the other

Tariq wrote:

  Hello Everybody.

  I am getting very strange problem in my home network.
  I am getting Status is up and line protocol is down message.

  Please check the attached diagram. I am unable to coonect Serial 1 of
  Router
  2 with Serial 1 of router 3

  I applied clock rate 64000 command on serial 1 interface of Router 2.
  Encapsulation on both ends is HDLC.
  I changed keepalive but was no success. Default keepalive is 10.

  Cable and interface is is 100% ok thats why status is up. Line
  Protocol is
  down means that there is some problems on datalink layer.

  I think that it could be some masking problem. Please see it and let
  me
  know.

  Thanks

  Tariq
  Report misconduct and Nondisclosure violations to
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]