Whichever way you look at it, there should be 1022 hosts, you could then
sort out what they're getting at from the possibilities left, and you should
get to 16384. Unfortunately there are none.

I would not be surprised if answer c) was supposed to be the right answer. I
saw an explanation quite a while ago, which I don't agree with at all, that
says the subnet mask of 22 bits is calculated on top of the network mask.
So, if we wrote the mask the way we normally do, for a class A it would be a
/30.
This would give 4194302 subnets and 2 hosts.

So even if this explanation of their bad logic is correct, they've b*ggered
the maths up.

As a matter of interest, where are you getting these questions from?

Gaz