Hi Everyone,

        First, the demarc is the point of termination for the LEC (Local
Exchange Carrier).
        As far as a 'zone', that term must be a local anomaly. I have been
in the
        telco world for 25 years and have never heard it referred to as a
'zone'.

        DMZ is and has been referred to as the demarc too. Although the term
has been
        a little vague, it generally means the place where there is an
electrical separation
        between telco's network and your network. In other words, if telco
needs to come
        in and do some work they can separate your network from theirs at
the demarc.
        That is why it is difficult to get telco to admit to problems when
they test 'clean'
        to the demarc. There is the back half of the demarc. in most cases,
that can and
        does cause many a problem.

        Any extended demarc, to get it from the demarc to the router, is
guaranteed for
        30 days after installation. If you have problems, as Jason stated
below, you will
        need to ask the LEC to test from the extended demarc too. They will
tell you that
        there will be extra charges, and any repairs needed to the extended
demarc will be
        time, materials, and a hourly fee too.

        A LEC is a company like Bell South, Ameritech, Verizon, etc...

        Hope this helps,

            Darel Graham

        p.s. Jason - in other countries the LEC owns everything including
the CSU/DSU.
                          My counterparts in Amsterdam (they monitor/install
ckts in Europe)
                      say they call it a demarc too.