It's interesting how often we hear about the "coveted CCNA" and how the MCSE
is devalued.

It sounds like you're still at the beginning of your IT career and that's
not meant as a slur - we all started out someplace and a lot of us came from
the server world.

But you have to compare apples to apples.  CCNA is still an one exam cert
sorta like the MCP.  It is the beginning of the Cisco cert journey.

Having said that, I think that MCSE is way over CCNA for difficulty level
(there are seven exams) but you have to again consider that on one hand
we're talking about servers and the services they provide......... and on
the other - routers/switches that connect them.

I'm studying W2K stuff right now, I have MCSE for 3.51/4.0 and my Microsoft
exams go back to Windows 3.1- and I'm surprised to see what I think is CCNA
type material.  This because W2K can do RIP V1, RIP V2 and OSPF.  The
Network Services exam also gets into IP subnetting, DNS, DHCP and plenty of
IPSec stuff, L2F and certificates.

In my mind the two certs go together - however, it seems the bulk of your
experience is with Microsoft and I would probably consider doing what I know
best - get the MCSE and use the money$ I can earn from that to assault the
Cisco certs.

However, it has been lamented that the CCNP/CCDP are not understood so CCNA
probably does look good - but to people who know, they know it is the bottom
of the Cisco ladder.

MCSE is what Microsoft calls a "Premier" MCP and is one of their top certs.

CCNA could only devalue MCSE if you get hired into a telelcom position,
otherwise salary surveys have indicated that the CCNA enhances the MCSE.

Another one of those personal choice type of things.  I found it very
difficult to break into the router world and in between the great network
design jobs I get, I usually end up managing Microsoft networks.

The CCNA is one exam, a hard working person can pass that exam with about a
month of studying from any of several good books out there.  If your job
market can employ a CCNA with a fresh cert but no "networking" experience
then go for it.

Otherwise get the MCSE and use it to leverage your Cisco studies.

my .02 Canadian cents

Kevin Wigle
walks both sides of the fence
CCDP/CCNP/MCSE/CBE/CBI