Normally on 25XX routers, the IOS code runs directly out of flash and
so, the IOS is stored uncompressed on the flash.

However if you compress the image (with a *.Z name) and store it on the
flash, then the later versions of the boot rom will first expand it into
RAM and then run the IOS code from RAM instead of flash. In this case,
of course, you have less available RAM than otherwise.

But if the compressed image itself is more than 4MB, then you are out of
luck and must upgrade the flash.

Nelluri