Having done this several times, here is the CORRECT way:

     1. First, if you havent done so, reboot the server and do an F10 to
     edit the hardware configuration. Make sure that both processors are
     seen here.

     2. Since this is a Compaq server, you will need the latest version of
     Smartstart. (it can also be downloaded from Compaq's website)

     \\cpqsupsw\ntssd\setup.exe

     This will install the server support software. In this windows you
     will see an option to upgrade to multiprocessor.

     (Upgrade all of your other stuff as well using the Express option.)

     4. Reboot

     If you have any questions, feel free to email me directly.

     Thanks.

     Chris

     I think Feargal is correct in saying that the 2nd processor was added
     after
     NT was installed. NT is using a single processor kernal and needs to
     be
     upgraded to the multiprocessor kernal. You can use uptomp.exe
     (resource kit
     utility), but I hear that is very unreliable. The other option is to
     reinstall NT. I think there is a MS KB article on upgrading to MP
     kernal
     manually, but don't recall for sure.

     Someone else said that you would need to buy an additional license.
     That is
     very untrue.

     Scott Meyer
     CCNA, CCDA, MCSE, etc