I am struck by just how few ATM networks actually use PNNI.  The few that I
have found are small campus networks that have a one-level hierarchy, and
seemingly only run PNNI because they want to run LANE.

It would seem that PNNI would be extremely beneficial for the large ATM
clouds run by the telcos.  Well-defined hierarchy, integrated QoS, etc.,
it's all in there.  Yet I have yet to encounter a telco that actually uses
it.

So why is that?  Does running PNNI incur too much of a processing load on
the ATM switches that the telcos don't want to burden them with it?  Or are
there backwards-compabitility issues?   Just why don't more telcos implement
PNNI?

Thanx