Most telcos use the proprietary protocol of their WAN ATM switches. Cisco's
WAN switches, BPX, MGX, and IGX, use autorouting--proprietary. However, you
can buy PNNI for them for a few bucks more. My guess is that most carriers
that sell ATM services, for the most part, sell PVC-based solutions. I don't
see that many companies buying SVCs (for ATM) from carriers; and therefore,
PNNI and routing interoperability is not a big deal. I teach the CATM class
and one thing I really like is the PNNI protocol on the LS1010's--it makes
my life very easy in an SVC environment--a no brainer.

Enjoy!

Richard Deal
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

*  Author of the following Coriolis books: CCNP Switching Exam Cram, CCNP
Remote Access Exam Prep, and CCNP Cisco Lan Switch Configuration; as well as
a CCNP test author for www.equizware.com