I would like to know if anybody can tell me how or even if fast-switching
and CEF handle special packet handling decisions like extended access-lists,
policy-routing, QoS (like queuing, CAR, WRED).  From reading the CiscoPress
book "Inside Cisco IOS Software Architecture", I understand how
fast-switching and CEF work in normal packet forwarding situations.  But
what happens when more intelligence is needed in packet forwarding, like in
situations mentioned above?

I am well aware of the command "ip route-cache policy", which seems to imply
that a policy route can be cached for fast-switching.  I am interested in
finding out how this really works.  Because I can make a policy route that
matches on so many different things (source IP, IP precedence/TOS value,
packet length,etc.) and can change so many different things (next hop,
default next hop, prec/TOS, etc.), it seems to me that the tree or trie or
whatever logic structure IOS may use would quickly become overwhelmed by the
sheer number of possibilities.  Which makes me wonder whether the router can
really cache the policy at all, or if it can, should it (as opposed to just
process-switching the packet).

Thanx