I've seen this before in networks using HSRP and no route caching.  Is it
causing a problem or just interesting?

Darren

At 11:59 AM 05/21/2001 -0400, Vincent Chong wrote:
>I suggest that you check your routing table, that's what come out my mind.
>
>HTH
>Vincent Chong
>
>""Watson, Rick, CTR, OUSDC""   All,
>>
>> When performing a trace on an IP address (for "testing purposes we'll use
>> 10.1.2.3) this is the result I get:
>>
>> router#trace 10.1.2.3
>>
>> Type escape sequence to abort.
>> Tracing the route to 10.1.2.3
>>
>>   1 192.1.2.2 4 msec
>>     192.1.2.10 4 msec
>>     192.1.2.2 4 msec
>>   2 10.1.2.3 0 msec 4 msec 4 msec
>>   3  *  *  *
>>   4  *  *  *
>>   5  *  *  *
>>   6  *  *  *
>>
>> This to me shows that I am still trying to find a path to the IP
>> address...but if the IP Address is returned at the 2nd hop, why is the
>trace
>> still continuing? I thought that it would stop when the trace has the
>> "path". Also note that when a "ping" is performed it returns the infamous
>> "....."
>>
>> This has really got me perplexed, and any help would be greatly
>appreciated.
>> Maybe I am just not understanding something about the trace command/ICMP.
>>
>> Rick Watson
>> Network Engineer
>> Advanced Systems Development, Inc.
>> OUSD(Comptroller)
>> 703.697.5710 office
>> 800.309.7782 pager ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> FAQ, list archives, and subscription info:
>> Report misconduct and Nondisclosure violations to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

***********************************
Darren S. Crawford
Lucent Technologies Worldwide Services
2377 Gold Meadow Way            Phone: (916) 859-5200 x310
Suite 230                               Fax: (916) 859-5201
Sacramento, CA 95670            Pager: (800) 467-1467
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Epager: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.lucent.com           Network Systems
Consultant - CCNA, CCIE Written

                        "Providing the Power Operable Networks."

        "Ham and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment
for a
pig."