I've heard of state machines before, but still have no idea what this
means:

router(config)#?

state-machine               Define a TCP dispatch state machine

I see from the configuration guides that it is related to the following
commands:

dispatch-character
 Defines a character that causes a packet to be sent.

dispatch-machine
 Specifies an identifier for a TCP packet dispatch state machine on a
particular line.

dispatch-timeout
 Sets the character dispatch timer.

Applying The Berkowitz Interrogative, what problem are these commands
designed to solve?  From reading through their descriptions I wasn't
able to think of a use for them but that's probably because I still
don't really understand what they do.

Thanks,
John