And I thought NRF sent the strangest questions. ;-)

Seriously, I think this has to do with terminal servers.

I worked on terminal software back in the last millennium. Sometimes a
state machine is required to keep track of what the user has typed already.
With character-based terminal applications you can send the data when a
particular character is sent, such as a CR usually. This avoids the default
behavior of sending each character separately. On the other hand, sometimes
you want to send on a timeout instead. Sending on CR doesn't work with some
applications, such as vi where a j moves up a line, etc.

Beyond that, I can't remember anything else. You know what they say about
the 80s. If you remember them you weren't there!?

Priscilla

At 06:28 PM 5/23/01, John Neiberger wrote:
>I've heard of state machines before, but still have no idea what this
>means:
>
>router(config)#?
>
>state-machine               Define a TCP dispatch state machine
>

>I see from the configuration guides that it is related to the following
>commands:
>
>dispatch-character
>  Defines a character that causes a packet to be sent.
>
>dispatch-machine
>  Specifies an identifier for a TCP packet dispatch state machine on a
>particular line.
>
>dispatch-timeout
>  Sets the character dispatch timer.
>
>Applying The Berkowitz Interrogative, what problem are these commands
>designed to solve?  From reading through their descriptions I wasn't
>able to think of a use for them but that's probably because I still
>don't really understand what they do.
>
>Thanks,
>John

Priscilla Oppenheimer