Inline

----- Original Message -----
From: "Curtis A. Rose"
To: "Donald B Johnson jr" ;
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2001 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: Cable Multiservice Operators [7:5246]

> It appears he is suggesting  OPEN ACCESS agreement whereas the customer is
> allowed to choose which company they want to get their news, email, and
> service from.
Currently which MSO is implementing this.

> The CMTS belongs to whichever cable company installed it.  If they are
> utilizing Cisco GSRs and UBRs, they will most likely be using MPLS and VPN
> to accomplish this.  I would check to see what the downstream and upstream
> are running.  Big difference between QPSK, QAM 16 and QAM 64.
Yeah, Cisco has to put a router in everything, but they forgot the
up-converter:>), still I took it that he meant doing VPNs on the RF network,
not to my knowledge. Could you explain. Since DOCSIS is an end-to-end IP
solution you can do anything with the data coming out the NSI. Does the UBR
do 256QAM.

> They will not be overbuilding the CMTS to accomplish this.
You Bet!!! Actually wouldn't it be the plant, anyway.
The service
> company brings in their connection to the HeadEnd (OC3, OC12 whatever).
Seems to me that they want to provide an end-to-end solution over a cable
network, else why would they care about renting a frequency range. If the
Cable Operator dumps data out the NSI of a CMTS then this ISP wouldn't need
any Frequency  If
> your company wants to overbuilding the CMTS you are talking about alot of
> work and money.  I do not know what cable company you are dealing with but
> doubt they would just give away channels as they lose revenue with TV when
> doing so.  You are taking a channel away both in the upstream and
> downstream.
In a sub-split systen there are no channels in the upstream, I believe the
first channel, channel 2 is 54.25 MHz, in a standard plant and 52.25 in a
(HRC plant, not many of those left), the North American DOCSIS standard goes
to 42 MHz should be plenty of room for a upstream carrier. You are right
though they are not going to give away bandwidth. Up and down you'll be
charged.

> The billing will be the service provider's issues.  The cable company will
> charge for the bandwidth utilized. (depending upon the agreement).
>
> As this is a shared network, I would check the numbers of homespassed per
> node. This can range from 75 to 3000.  Cablelabs recommends 500 homes
passed
> per node.   I would also check the number of subscribers per Blade card on
> the UBR.  Cisco recommends not to exceed 1000 customers per blade.
>
> The cablemodem receives the permission to come on line from a LDAP server
> and usually uses a 10.X.X.X  IP address and the customer will receive an
IP
> from the Whom  The cable company or the service provider?  This as well
> needs to be reviewed.
>
> I know that cable companies are striving to achieve QOS but right now it
is
> best effort.  In your readings I would recommend Michael Adams book
> OpenCable Architecture from CiscoPress.
There is also the DOCSIS spec available on Cablelabs page. A definite for
anyone running DOCSIS.
 I would also look at the Service
> Level Agreement with the cable company you are dealing with.  It is
amazing
> what happens when they change the cable plant around and not tell you what
> they are doing.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Curtis

This
> > will give you the friendliest environment for running the wide-boy 3.2
Mhz
> > in the upstream.
> > DOCSIS is a shared medium, this PVC MPLS-VPN you are talking about are
ATM
> > technologies (I Think) you can't run them on a DOCSIS network, security
is
> > provided through BPI or BPI+. Physical seperation means a separate cable
> > plant, a cable company is not going to overbuild on themself just to
> provide
> > DOCSIS which runs on one of many frequencies.
> > Can't do guaranteed service or QOS until DOCSIS 1.1. I would check into
> that
> > first and make sure all your gear is 1.1 compliant or else no QOS or
BPI+.
> > If you want give me a call if I haven't answered your questions fully.
We