Hmm... That's interesting. I'm trying to figure it out. Say, on my office
network, my default gateway is something like 10.0.0.32 because we're using
private addresses and NAT. When I travel, would the router in the hotel
respond to my ARP for 10.0.0.32?? Would the router think that it can reach
network 10.0.0.0?

And, let's say that I don't use private addresses on my office network
(which I don't). Let's say the default gateway is 138.1.80.193. Would the
hotel router respond to my ARP for 138.1.80.193? Would the router think
that it can reach network 138.1.0.0?

I would hate to be the desk clerk responding to questions about this! ;-)

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com