No, Priscilla, you are not being brain dead and yes, Priscilla, there are
those of us who appreciate your perspective on this and other topics.

It turns out that there is an RFC 1027 which discusses proxy arp /
promiscuous arp / arp hack ( all terms Comer uses ) it would appear from my
quick skim, that originally proxy arp dealt with physically connected
subnets, but that a router performing proxy arp services  can indeed use as
its knowledge base the entire routing table.

As to the situation in the hotel room I would suspect that if  this were an
ethernet LAN, and my laptop had a fixed IP config for it's ethernet port,
that there would be a stream of issues. Dial up, where the dial up adapter
usually does not have a fixed address, would be a different situation.

BTW, Bob Vance would enjoy reading this RFC, I imagine. It gets into the
question about how broadcasts are handled, and seems to deal with a Bob
question I recall from long ago - how do hosts on different subnets but on
the same physical wire deal with arp requests.

IE the ARP broadcast goes out to the all F's . why is routing required in
such a situation. All hosts would see the ARP requests, even if on different
subnets, because al hosts are on the same wire.

Chuck