Anytime I uninstall programs by whatever means, I also go to the reg and
delete all leftover entries.  There is usually something there.  What I
usually do, before I unistall something, is first go to the program itself
and
look at it's properties and copy down the version, manu, and any other name
information that I can find under the *.exe file.

Then I unistall and run regedit.

Then all the info I have gathered about possible entries, I click on the tab
 and then select .

I start at the top of local machine and run the find command through the
entrie string of local machine.  If it locates an entry, I look and see if
it
is a directory or a sub directory listing.  If it is an entire directory, I
delete the directory from the left side of the screen.  If it is a sub
entry,
I delete the individual listing from the right side so there won't be any
conflict with other programs which obviously in this case...several things
are
using whatever in in that directory.  It just so happens that the program I
am
deleting is one of them.

And that's all.

But if I misunderstood you and you are talking about the icons in the lower
right side of your screen only, you can also go to start, programs and
startup
{which is a sys file and you can't delete}, you can delete all the
individual
programs from there.  Usually, the only thing I have there is zone alarm
which
on my computer activates at startup.  Icons in this area only slow down the
boot process as they are actively running programs and initilize during the
boot process ever time you turn your computer on.  They slow things down and
are totally unnecessary. Nearly ever program that is installed gives you an
option of whether you want a shortcut placed in the start menu.  I always
choose no and if it just does it, I go delete it.

And speaking of shortcuts, my computer also has 98se and 2k on it.  Since
most
98 programs and 2k programs are placed in the same programs folder on
install,
[my computer, c-drive, program files], you can shortcut those to both
systems.
 The ones that are in seperate folders, just look and try them out.  Look in
your windows and your winnt folders and see what's there.  If it doesn't
work,
delete the shortcut. It won't effect the program.  Sometimes you might find
that a 98 program would run if it had the correct driver under 2k.  But it
would have to be a driver that is compatible with both file systems.  nt and
fat32 are totally different. And that is the neat thing about 2k.  I do not
have my drive partitioned off.  I have one very large drive that has fat32
on
it.  But, when I install programs when running 2k, it recognizes nt and alot
of the drivers are not compatible with the 98 programs.  There is a special
area of 2k that allows you to install the drivers for 98 or 95 to run your
98/95 programs on the 2k desktop. Some work and some don't.

I love both file systems.  The clusters in fat16 have alot of wasted space
with them being 64k.  Fat32 allows for 4k clusters.  The NTFS is similiar to
the fat32, except that it has better security like an nt system and also has
recoverability.  Which is awsome.

I think I am rattling now.  Way too much info.

Can't help you with the other stuff though.

Jennifer Cribbs

>===== Original Message From "John Brandis"  =====
>Sorry for this crap,,,
>
>Has anybody removed  Programs from the Start menu in doze 2k via either the
>Reg or GPE ?????
>
>I can do it myself by removing the folders in the profiles directory, but is
>there another way......
>
>To even things out, Here is a cisco FIX I come across
>
>A bug in IOS 12.x.x,,that referred to NAT...Once every 20 days on my
network,
>the router would crash and fill up the flash with the crashinfo logs.....The
>problem, so cisco say was that the 1720 router does not handle NAT very well
>in that particular version of the IOS....
>Resolution, upgrade to the beta IOS that cisco released for the 1720
>
>Sorry for the MS rubbish but can I get an answer
>
>John

Have a great day!
Jenn