At 01:02 PM 5/25/01, you wrote:
>Newbie question
>
>Is the max hop count for rip 15 and the poison reverse infinity count 16?
>Thanks

The max hop count is 15, as you know. If a router advertises a route as
being 16 hops, it's saying that the distance to the network is "infinity,"
in other words it's unreachable. These routes are sometimes considered
called "poisoned routes." If a router sent such a route advertisement in
the reverse direction, back to the router that originally advertised it,
this could be considered poison reverse.

Poison reverse also happens during normal operation when there aren't any
problems. Check out EIGRP behavior. With EIGRP, when Router A sends a route
to Router B, Router B sends back a response saying that the route is not
reachable. Router B isn't saying there is a problem. It's telling Router A,
don't get there through me, you have better knowledge of this network than
I do. This avoids loops.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com