The "poison reverse" term is sometimes used to mean sending a poisoned
route outwards. In that case it doesn't break the rules of split horizon
and it's just a way of explicitly saying this route is no longer reachable,
rather than simply omitting the route from the list. Sometimes it is sent
as a "triggered" update as soon as the problem is confirmed, rather than
waiting for the next regularly scheduled updated.

More often, the "poison reverse" term means going back the other way and
it's not related to a problem. It's a proactive method of avoiding loops,
as you said. Router B reports to Router A that a network that it reaches
via Router A has a distance of infinity. This avoids Router A ever sending
Router B a packet for that network.

Split horizon has the same effect. Router B would never tell Router A that
it could get to that network anyway. There are some cases with certain
topologies and an unfortunate timing of events where split horizon fails to
do the job. Draw three routers in a triangle and think about what
happens... Having been told explicitly not to believe me saying I can get
there when it's you that told me this, may avoid the problem.

Also, keep in mind that distance-vector routing protocols had various
problems in the early days that could be catastrophic. To avoid problems,
many overlapping solutions were developed. They may seem like overkill but
avoiding problems was so important, nobody worried too much about overkill.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com