I'm sure that Howard would have a good perspective on this :)

Generally, "gateway" and "router" are used interchangeably, especially
in this context of Cisco routing Cert preparation, just meaning sending
off this network onto another network.  E.g., "default gateway" or
"gateway of last resort"

I've seen definitions that basically say that if the box is dedicated to
routing, then it's a router.  If it's a server doing other things and
happens to have more than one NIC and does routing, then it's called a
gateway.

However, I've seen other definitions that make (I think, reasonably) a
clear distinction:

 . routers convert packets at level 3 and don't change underlying data.

 . gateways convert packets at higher levels of the OSI model, e.g.,
switching between protocols -- some say at all 7 layers.  Like say a
Gator box.

When Dorothy is wending thru the paths on the farm, she's routing.
When she clicks her heels, she's going thru a gateway :)

Again, I'm sure that Howard can give us the entire etymology of the
terms :)

Tks        |
BV         |
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511