A switch port definitely delineates collision domains. Stations reachable
on different ports don't share the media and are not concerned with each
other's collisions. That answers part of the question. The link that I
found before (and can't find now) confirmed that this is true even with
cut-through switching. The switch caches the frame even when doing
cut-through and if it encounters a collision while outputting, it backs off
and retransmits. It does not send a collision enforcement jam to the
original sender.

If the Gigabit Ethernet link between the switches is set to full-duplex,
the switches can send to and receive from either at the same time. But they
can still only output one frame at a time. The Ethernet port outputs bits
serially. It's not a parallel port.

On the other hand, at 1,000 Mbps those bits are whipping out so fast, that
the question is pretty irrelevant. The "serialization delay" isn't
significant.

On the wire, the bits are whipping by at about 2/3 the speed of light in a
vacuum. (Yes, even fiber-optic cabling still provides a speed that is a
fraction of speed of light in a vacuum.) Theoretically on a long cable,
there could be more than one frame on the wire at a time. The math is
making my head hurt, but this is logical, if possibly not "real-world."

Ten stations outputting 100 Mbps all destined to the other switch will
cause the switch to queue packets. But stations don't output that fast.
They wait for ACKs coming back in the other direction, etc. Also, they
probably sometimes talk to other stations on their same switch. All your
traffic probably won't go across the Gigabit Ethernet link. How much
queuing will occur is hard to predict, but could be estimated with a good
analysis of traffic patterns. Or you could throw money at the problem and
group multiple Gigabit Ethernet ports together in an EtherChannel.

I think this was a good question (not elementary after all!) Answers could
vary from my off-the-cuff answer to a scientific and mathematical answer
that gets into the different types of delay (serialization, propagation,
queuing) and switch architectures.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com