A slightly chauvinistic hen-pecked instructor explained simplex, half-duplex
and duplex to me about 16 years ago. It obviously worked as a memory aid as
I still remember it now.

Simplex:

When his wife talks to him - one way only

Half Duplex:

Him talking to one of his mates - One talks, then the other.

Duplex:

His wife talking to one of her friends - Both talking at the same time, but
hearing every word.

Gaz

""Hire, Ejay""  wrote in message
> With Half Duplex, It's
> Talk, Listen, Talk, Listen
>
> With Full duplex, I think its:
> Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk
>  - simultaneously -
> Listen, Listen, Listen, Listen, Li
>
> Only one frame can be transmitted at a time, with the other packets
stacking
> up in the buffer in a FIFO fashion.
> The only pause would be the interface gap, and if 2 packets are sent at
the
> same time, one sits in the buffer an incredibly short amount of time (Gig
> Ethernet has a very short MTU/bps) while the other one is transmitted.

Listen.