In your example, both RC and RE need to run both L1 and L2 processes.
Doyle would refer to them as L1/L2 routers.
So your second line would read:

L1 L1 L1/L2 L2 L1/L2 L1 L1

Since RD only connects to other routers that run L1/L2 SPF, it can choose to
be either L1 only, L2 only or both.

RC and RE routers run 2 sets of SPF algorithms, one for L1 and another for
L2.

I also do not think L1 and L2 refer to Layer 1 and 2 of osi.
I am told that this a very Decnet phase 4 view of the world.
Think of L1 as within an area.
Think of L2 as between areas. (or backbone routers)
Think of L1/L2 as the ABR.

"a router can only be a Layer1 *OR* a Layer2 router (or IS I
suppose) for a particular area, right? "

No.  This is not correct.  A router can run exactly 2 processes, an L1 and
an L2 process.

Feel free to drop me a line @ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
or my [EMAIL PROTECTED] address, as well as the board.

Good Luck

Doug