as we seem to be getting more IS-IS stuff on the list, maybe someone could
help me out here.

I am having real trouble seeing how IS-IS areas and levels fit together.  As
far as I can make out the numbering of areas is arbitary, and all L2 routers
should be in the same area, with the L1/L2 and their downstream L1 routers in
separate ares.  Is this a requirement or a recommendation - some of the
examples in Doyle's TCP/IP book seem to stray from this practise?

Obviously the adjacencies between the L1/L2 and L1 routers should be
circuit-type-l1, but should the adjacency between the L1/L2 (pseudo-ABR I
suppose) and the L2 (backbone) routers be circuit-type-l1-l2 or l2?

Finally, is it recommended to run full CLNS routing throughout, and if so
what
are the advantages?

Sorry if this sounds a bit "how does IS-IS work?", but I have been through
Jeff Doyle's and Radia Perlman's books (only real reference I can find) and
it's just not computing for me.

many thanks

Andy