i remember the term symbol as equated to a state change.  in modulation
techniques where
1 symbol = 1 bit, the symbol rate and the bit rate are the same.  some
modulation
techniques can yield multiple bits from a single symbol.  qpsk (quaternary
phase shift
keying) is a form of phase angle modulation used in rf where 1 symbol = 2
data bits.  so
the symbol rate is 1/2 the bit rate (23 megasymbols per second = 46mbps).

Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

> The original 10-Mbps Ethernet II and 802.3 standards use Manchester
> encoding for all media types. Manchester encoding specifies that a bit
> period is divided into two equal intervals and there is always a transition
> from either high to low or low to high in the middle of the bit period. A
> binary zero is high first and then low. A binary one is low first and then
> high. I haven't heard these called symbols, but perhaps your reference
> calls them symbols.
>
> Priscilla
>
> At 07:09 PM 5/31/01, hal9001 wrote:
> >Thanx for that any idea about the symbols?
> >
> >Karl

Manchester