John Neiberger wrote:

> After reading a practice test question and answer I'm confused about the
> operation of fast switching, specifically when a route has already been
> cached when a new equal-cost route is learned via a different interface.
> For example:
>
> Route A learns of 192.168.1.0/24 via e0 with a metric of 1000.  Fast
> switching is enabled so this route is cached.  Then the router learns of
> 192.168.1.0/24 with a metric of 1000 via e1.  My thinking is that the cache
> would be invalidated and recreated with two entries but the test engine
> answer stated that routing would not change because the route was cached
and
> the cache would not be invalidated.

With the exception of CEF, all Cisco switching modes are demand-based.
Only after a packet is successfully forwarded to a destination (via
process-switching), will IOS add a route cache entry for _that destination_.
So it's not as if the existing of a route/prefix causes a cache entry to
be created; rather it's traffic generated.

In your example above, all traffic to 192.168.1.22 would go via e0, as
long as that remains valid.  Traffic for a second host in 192.168.1.0/24
will go via e1.  And so on.

CEF does add entries to the FIB and AdjTable that directly correspond to
routing table and ARP cache entries.  It's not demand-based.

> Any thoughts?  I'd test this myself but at the moment I only have two
> routers at home.  Do any of you have any experience with this?

Actually you can test this with just two routers if you can create
two equal-cost paths with them.  But you must create the traffic with
a third device -- a host connected to a LAN interface.  Switching modes
only apply to packets that are in fact switched; i.e., forwarded.
Traffic that originates within the router or terminates in the router
is not fast-switched, nor process-switched -- it's not switched at all!
If a ping is sourced from the router with two equal paths, the pings
will alternate paths on a per-packet basis.

  Marty Adkins                     Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Mentor Technologies              Phone: 240-568-6526
  133 National Business Pkwy       WWW: http://www.mentortech.com
  Annapolis Junction, MD  20701    Cisco CCIE #1289